Board of Certified Public Accountants

Certificate Application Information

This information is provided as guidance and notice of the requirements to be certified in and/or qualify for a CPA certificate in Wyoming and to assist applicants in ensuring the application and the additional required forms are complete before submission to the Board Office. For details regarding specific requirements, please refer to the Statutes and Board rules and regulations

Certificate Application Information

Mobility/Practice Privilege in Wyoming 

Firms and individuals who provide professional accounting services to Wyoming residents and businesses from locations outside of Wyoming may do so without obtaining or maintaining a Wyoming certificate or permit so long as services are provided by practitioners licensed in good standing in the state of their principal place of business as outlined in W.S. 33-3-116 and Chapter 10 of Board rules and regulations. 

An individual who currently holds a license in the state of their principal place of business and do not provide services from a Wyoming location as their principal place of business will have the option to continue to maintain the Wyoming certificate as they have in the past or avail themselves of practice privileges. Nonresident certificate holders who return the Wyoming certificate are assigned a “mobility” status which will be displayed when a database search is performed. Non-resident certificate holders who do not return the certificate and allow, instead, the certificate to expire will be assigned an “expired” status. An “expired” status does not prevent holders from exercising practice privileges. 

An individual who holds a license in the state of their principal place of business and provides services in Wyoming cannot elect to place the active Wyoming certificate on inactive status. Individuals who reside in another state and hold Wyoming certificates on an inactive status may either continue to maintain the certificate on inactive status if they do not perform accounting services in Wyoming, allow the certificate to expire, or surrender their certificate. 

When individuals and firms exercise practice privilege they simultaneously consent to personal and subject matter jurisdiction and the disciplinary authority of the Wyoming Board; they agree to comply with Wyoming law and Wyoming Board rules and regulations; they agree to cease offering or rendering accounting services in Wyoming if the license they hold in the other jurisdiction(s) is (are) no longer valid in the state where the principal place of business is located; and they consent to the appointment of the state board which issued their license as their agent upon which process may be served in any action or proceeding by the Wyoming Board against the licensee. 

Firms previously permitted are free to activate an expired permit as long as the firm's EIN or SSN has not changed. 

A majority of states have adopted mobility legislation.  "Mobility" is a practice privilege that generally permits a licensed CPA in good standing from a substantially equivalent state to practice outside of his or her principal place of business without obtaining another license.

Please click on the link below as a tool to determine your eligibility to practice in any jurisdiction.  For specific questions, please contact the Board office at (307) 777-7551 or by email at