Board of Certified Public Accountants

Request to Place Certificate on Inactive Status

Persons holding a certificate issued under W.S. 33-3-109 or W.S. 33-3-116 but who do not practice public accounting in Wyoming (or provide compensated accounting services) and have not lost the right to active status can place the certificate on an inactive status. 

A certificate holder who maintains the certificate on inactive status may assume or use the title “Certified Public Accountant, Inactive” or “CPA, Inactive”.

A certificate holder who maintains the certificate on inactive status is not subject to CPE requirements but is required to renew their Inactive Status Certificate annually during the renewal period.  

A holder who maintains the certificate on inactive status and wishes to provide services as defined in W.S. 33-3-109(c) in Wyoming for compensation shall submit a complete application to activate the certificate as set forth in Chapter 3 prior to providing accounting services in Wyoming.  

Request to Place a Certificate on Inactive Status-$90

If requesting from January 1-September 30:

If requesting from October 1-December 31:

1. Complete the online renewal application using the OPAL system and select "Inactive" as the application type.  See the Renewal Information for instructions on how to complete this process during "Renewal".   

2. Pay the applicable fee ($80) using the OPAL system as part of the online renewal.  

Restore Inactive Status from Expired-$190

Application Submission Instructions

*Holders are required to renew certificates (October-December) online by accessing their renewal on their online individual dashboard on the Online Portal for Application and Licensure (OPAL) system.  We will send you a reminder on October 1st when the online renewal is available. *